Thursday, May 30, 2013

What happened to our dreams?

Lately I've been wondering, what was it that I had set out to do with my life? I have 2 wonderful boys and a man I love in my life. I am grateful. But what were the dreams I had dreamt as a young girl? Do I even remember them?

Recently I started reading Paulo Coelho's "The Alchemist." It's got me thinking about these questions and my own calling. Can we do what we're doing now and still pursue whatever dream we've conjured up?

The very first thing I wanted to be as a kid was an astronaut. Well, that's not happening. But that was just a kid in love with the universe and the stars. After college I wanted to pursue journalism, it worked out on my own terms but after baby #1, it got pushed aside. Now that I have the opportunity to pursue it, I no longer dream of becoming a journalist unless it's for the NY Times or the like. Why? I'm so sick of mainstream journalism and the nonsense that's published day in and day out. I do not look forward to starting a career by writing about trashy people and their trashy ways.

So what do we do when our dreams are not on the top of the to-do list? We must make time. Don't sleep. Do whatever you have to but try to make some time for the things you love to do (or used to love).

My days are so packed with taking care of babies in the morning, cooking lunch, taking baby #1 to classes (or baby #2) then driving to the office to work that I forget about dreams, careers and such. But I do think about it when I can, I do dream and I do desire to do more with my life. Maybe I can't as fast as before this life got to busy but it's still possible. Should I leave the kids and go pursue a full time career? Not sure. It doesn't seem worth it. Maybe when they're older.

I like creating things, drawing, cooking, playing with my family, dancing, being happy. We should remember to be happy and grateful for all that we have because we have a lot. Maybe the big picture is this and the life we are still creating. I can do the little things to keep the smile on my face.

Thanks for reading,
Urmi Sharna


No comments:

Post a Comment